37 Church St.

<< Walking Tour >>
North side of street

This Gothic Revival style house was apparently built, circa 1870, for/by owner Calvin Paddock.

The original sections of this Gothic Revival style house was certainly here by 1872 since a footprint, much like that of the building today, may be seen on a map of the Village of that date. Judson Paddock, owner then, was listed in tax rolls for the property by 1859. This was probably Paddock's residence. (Paddock had a carding mill & foundry on the southwest corner of S. Main & Depot Rd.) The owners of this house beginning 1883 were Edward A. & Alice Urch. Urch owned a dry goods store on South Main St. After he died in 1918, Alice continued to live in the house until her death in 1944. (A 12/1/1944 Clarkston News item announced the auction of the contents of Alice's house.) The porch, a later Queen Anne style inspired addition, was added in 1895. According to an item in the Oakland County Post "E. A. Urch is building a wide porch across the front of his residence".

Official Property Description: 
  • The west 1/2 of Lot 9 Block 2 of Nelson W. Clark's Original Plat of the Village in the Southwest 1/4 of Section 20 in Independence Township
  • Lot 18 of the Assessor's Plat.
Significant Property History: 
  • 1831 United States to Butler Holcomb.
  • 1833 Butler Holcomb & wife, Mary To Roswell/Roosevelt Holcomb, the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20.
  • 1833 Butler Holcomb & wife, Mary To Roswell/Roosevelt Holcomb, and wife, Elvine Holcomb, and Daniel B. Holcomb and wife, Alimira to Jeremiah Clark, the south part of the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20.
  • 1839 Jeremiah Clark to Nelson Washington Clark, the undivided 1/2 of the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20 commencing.......
  • 1842 Jeremiah Clark & wife, Polly to Nelson W. Clark, the south part of the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20. Also other land.
  • 1842 Jeremiah Clark & Nelson W. Clark to Village of Clarkston (Original plat of the Village).
  • 1850 Eleazer James, the south 3/4 of Lot 9 (or 7 ?) Block 2, assessed value $60.
  • 1859 Judson Paddock, east by E. Buzzell, south by Church Street, west by the Methodist Church & J. Millard, north by Mrs. Pratt, assessed value $200.
  • 1861 Judson Paddock, assessed value $300.
  • 1872 map of the Village has a building footprint, owner, J. Paddock.
  • 1873 Mrs. Paddock.
  • 1874 Mrs. Paddock.
  • 1875 Calvin Paddock, east by Charles Bower, south by Church St., west by Methodist Church & Parsonage, north by Demerest, assessed value $200.
  • 1880 Calvin Paddock, assessed value $500.
  • 1881 J. M. Clark.
  • 1883 E. Urch.
  • 1910 Edward A. Urch, north by Della Tucker & Jacob Gulick, east by C. Bower estate, west by Methodist Church property & land of Hattie Casement, assessed value $400. (Casement had the south 1/2 of Lot 3 & 3/4 of Lot 6 Block 2, assessed value $800.)
  • 1918 Urch, north by Gulick & east by Gulick, south by Church St., west by Methodist Church, assessed value $1500.
  • 1944 Alice (Mrs. Ed. A. Urch) died.
  • 1948 A. E. Butters.
Historic District Commission Documents: