21 Church St.

<< Walking Tour >>
North side of street

The original section of this simple Greek Revival house was built between 1850 and 1855, for/by John Hertwig/ Herwig a tailor & proprietor of an inn at 22/24 S. Main. Hertwig also owned the property of the original building to the west at the time. Hertwig came to Clarkston in 1842. He was 25 years old when he married Margaret who was 18 years old. This building was apparently their home. She continued to own this property after John's death in 1860. She subsequently marriedDaniel Scadding. (In the 1860 census Daniel was listed as a 23 year old farm laborer, born in England, living in the Nelson W. Clark residence in Clarkston.) This house is a simple Greek Revival style building with entablature facing E. Church St., the native stone porch was added circa 1920, probably by Casper Warden, the stonemason who built his own residence north of this house. The garage is also an addition. See the 1872 map of the Village for the footprint on the building then. The windows under the street facing gable on the first floor seem to have the proportion of late nineteenth century Victorian style architecture. They are taller and more slender than those of the windows above which have Greek Revival proportions. The sawtooth detail of the window hoods is also a late nineteenth century vernacular addition, and is a detail seen on other window hoods in the Village.

Official Property Description: 
  • The east part of Lot 9 Block 1 of Nelson W. Clark's Original Plat of the Village in the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20 in Independence Township.
  • Lot 44 of the Assessor's Plat.
Significant Property History: 
  • 1831 United States to Butler Holcomb.
  • 1833 Butler Holcomb & wife, Mary To Roswell/Roosevelt Holcomb, the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20.
  • 1833 Butler Holcomb & wife, Mary To Roswell/Roosevelt Holcomb, and wife, Elvine Holcomb, and Daniel B. Holcomb and wife, Alimira to Jeremiah Clark, the south part of the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20.
  • 1839 Jeremiah Clark to Nelson Washington Clark, the undivided 1/2 of the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20 commencing.......
  • 1842 Jeremiah Clark & wife, Polly to Nelson W. Clark, the south part of the west 1/2 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 20. Also other land.
  • 1842 Jeremiah Clark & Nelson W. Clark to Village of Clarkston (Original plat of the Village).
  • 1844 Nelson W. Clark, Lot 9 Block 1, assessed value $10.
  • 1847 Morris Abernatha, Lot 9 Block 1, assessed value $10.
  • 1849 John Chapple, Lot 9 Block 1, assessed value $84.
  • 1850 John Chapple, assessed value $110.
  • 1855 John Hertwig, Lot 9 Block 1, assessed value $600.
  • 1856 John Hertwig, assessed value $600.
  • 1860 John Hertwig, assessed value $500.
  • 1862 Margaret Hertwig, (the tax record said Lot 2 Block 1, but this error was corrected in1869, see 1869 and 1870 records), assessed value $450.
  • 1864 Margaret Hertwig, assessed value $400.
  • 1865 Margaret Scadding.
  • 1869 Margaret Scadding. Tax record error of 1862 corrected.
  • 1872 Map of the Village has a building footprint, owner, D. Scadding.
  • 1904 Mrs. Scadding, Lot 9 Block 1, assessed value $1000.
  • 1914 Hugh Green.
  • 1915 Hugh Green, Lot 9, except 62' off the west side, to Fred Vliet.
  • 1926 Frank Howland, the east 95' of Lot 9 Block 1, assessed value $1600.
  • 1932 Frank Howland, the east 95' of Lot 9, & part of Lots 3 and 6.
  • 1956 Glen Howland.
Architecture Style: