22 North Holcomb St.

East side of street

This cottage, close to the shore of the Mill Pond, while apparently built about 1920, didn't become a separate piece of property until 1928. A bungalow style cottage, this house has changed little since it was built.

Official Property Description: 
  • Part of Lot 5 of the Northwest Addition to Nelson W. Clark's Original Plat of the Village in the Southwest 1/4 of Section 20 in Independence Township.
  • Lot 9 of the Supervisor's Replat of the Northwest Addition and part of the Original Plat.
Significant Property History: 
  • Note: All the properties currently located in the Historic District were originally part of a tract registered by Butler Holcomb with the federal government on October 22, 1831. Thus, abstracts for these properties, when they exist, show the original transfer to be from the United States to Butler Holcomb and may also include references to then President Andrew Jackson.
  • See 18 S. Holcomb tax record synopsis before 1914.
  • 1914 James Woodhill, Lots 5 & 6, except the south 10' of Lot 5, assessed value $1100.
  • 1920 Lloyd Axford, Lots 5 & 6, assessed value $2000.
  • 1923 Loyd Axford, as above.
  • 1926 Lloyd Axford, Lots 5 & 6, assessed value $2800. 
Mrs. B. Beardslee, Lots 5 & 6, except 10', assessed value $3400.
  • 1928 Mrs. Byron Beardslee, Lots 5 & 6, except 14', assessed value $3200. 
William Baldwin, new lot, house and lot, assessed value $1300.
  • 1931 William and Mary Baldwin, Lot 9, assessed value $900.
  • 1940 William and Mary Baldwin, Lot 9, assessed value $900.
  • 1953 Mary Baldwin, assessed value $800.
  • 1954 Mary Baldwin, Lot 9.