62 South Holcomb St.

East side of street

This house is a vernacular farmhouse style built about 1890. There are no original details to further identify the architectural style. The steeply pitched roof of the front vestibule was probably added circa 1930. The original wood clapboard was probably covered at that time with asbestos shingle artifical siding. The house exterior underwent a major remodeling in the early 1980s when a layer of foamcore board insulation was applied over the asbestos shingles. Then artificial siding was applied over the insulation. Windows were replaced at that time also.

Official Property Description: 
  • Part of Block 14 of Nelson W. Clark's Original Plat of the Village in the Southwest 1/4 of Section 20 in Independence Township.
  • Part of Lot 5 & Lot 6 Block 5 of Myron G. Cobb's Southwest Addition to the Original Plat of the Village.
  • Lot 89 of the Assessor's Plat.
Significant Property History: 
  • Note: All the properties currently located in the Historic District were originally part of a tract registered by Butler Holcomb with the federal government on October 22, 1831. Thus, abstracts for these properties, when they exist, show the original transfer to be from the United States to Butler Holcomb and may also include references to then President Andrew Jackson.
  • 1832 Butler Holcomb. The east 1/2 of the Southwest 1/4 of Section 20.
  • 1837 Butler, Roosevelt (Roswell) & Daniel B. to Jeremiah Clark.
  • 1842 Jeremiah & Nelson W. Clark. Plat of the Village.
  • 1854 Myron G. Cobb's Plat.
  • 1857 Myron G. Cobb to John Pinkham, Lots 1, 5, 6 & 9 Block 5 of the Southwest Addition.
  • 1871 Pinkham to Mary Blake, Lots 1, 5, 6 & 9 Block 5.
  • 1872 Map of the Village has no building footprint on this site, owner W. S. Blake.
  • 1881 Mary Blake to William Bird, Lots 1, 5, 6 & 9 Block 5.
  • 1885 Bird to Lucy A. Darling.
  • 1886 Lucy A. Darling, a piece north by Dixson, south and west by the Street, east by J. Richardson.
  • 1888 Miss Lucy A. Darling, assessed value $200.
  • 1893 Mrs. J. Richardson, north by Dixson, south & west by the Street, east by J. Richardson.
  • 1898 J. Richardson.
  • 1900 James Richardson, assessed value $400.
  • 1906 Annie McMillan.
  • 1914 A. McMillan, north by Demund, south by Depot, assessed value $700. Note: The Demund entry says north by the Street, south by McMillan. Also, the property to the east is owned by Floyd Hubble.
  • 1915 Annie McMillan, estate.
  • 1923 Mrs. Grace Grant, Lot 6 Block 1 & Lot 1 to Lot 5 Block 5, assessed value $1600.
  • 1925 Clara L. Grant, Lots 1,2,3,4 & 5 Block 5, assessed value $1250.
  • 1930 Annie McMillan, estate.
  • 1932 Henry Garter, north by Lot 5 Block 5, assessed value $1200.
  • 1935 Henry L. Garter, Lots 6 & 9 Block 5 except the Street, assessed value $1000.
  • 1950 H. I. Garter, Lot 89.
  • 1956 L. D. Riley.